Written by Brit Watters, healthy living blogger at Barefoot Brit
Okanagan lavender is a local staple. When I think of the Okanagan I think of all the wonderful things there are to do in the summer! Sipping wine from different boutique wineries, swimming in Kalamalka Lake, hiking and biking all the local trails, and getting ice-cream made with local products. The use of local ingredients in different products is what really makes the Okanagan shine! When it comes to shopping local in the Okanagan there are so many awesome spots! One of my favourites, that is probably not your first thought when you are going to get a local product as it is mainly known for its beautiful photo spot, is the Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm. The lavender farm provides an abundance of high quality locally grown lavender to the Okanagan community and I am forever thankful for that.
ABOUT OKANAGAN LAVENDER AND HERB FARM
The Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm is a family run farm that has been around since 1994. Since then, they have been growing lavender sustainably by hand-harvesting all their product and making sure they are free of toxins and additives allowing their lavender to be 100% natural. At the lavender farm they strive to make the Okanagan a better place by using recycled, biodegradable, and compostable packaging for their products. Their end goal is to preserve the environment and reduces the ecological footprint with the end result of leaving the land better than when they found it. If you want to learn more about the philosophy of the Lavender Farm click here.
The lavender from the Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm is amazing! So fresh, aromatic, and found in some of my favourite local products including the “High Tea” chocolate bar from Karat Chocolate and “Lavender Lady” tea from Chaibaba. I really love lavender because it has a lot of medicinal properties, it looks so pretty, and it tastes delicious!
ALL ABOUT OKANAGAN LAVENDER
Latin name: Lavandula officinalis
Part used: Flower
Constituent + Action:
- Volatile oils → this is the main compound in lavender that allows it to have its medicinal properties. The volatile oils allow lavender to function as:
- Sedative + anxiolytic → this is great for sleep, anxiety, stress and stress-induced headaches, and bringing you into an overall state of calm
- Antidepressant → lavender has been shown to help boost mood and eliminate symptoms of depression (equally effective to SSRI medication…. Super cool!)
- Antispasmodic + digestive aid → when taken internally lavender helps to sooth the stomach and eliminate GI discomfort (cramping, bloating) and decrease inflammation
LAVENDER AND COFFEE?
What a wonderful combination… nut and seed mylk, espresso, and lavender. The espresso serves as a little pick me up while the lavender allows you to stay calm to help avoid the jitters and rapid heartbeat (the biggest downside to your favourite cup of coffee!). The addition of homemade nut and seed mylk allows you to get in a good source of omega 3’s, which are an excellent source of energy for the brain. The walnuts also help to curb hunger and this warm beverage can double as your morning snack!
I hope you enjoy this latte, it’s:
Vegan Okanagan Lavender Latte
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp lavender
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 scoop collagen
- 1 shot espresso
- In a high speed blender place water, hemp seeds, walnuts, vanilla, and salt → blend until smooth and frothy.
- Transfer mylk into medium saucepan and heat on medium heat until bubbling.
- Turn off the heat and add the lavender → cover and let steep for 15 mins
- Strain off the lavender using a mesh strainer over a bowl → transfer the lavender infused mylk back into the blender.
- Add maple syrup, coconut oil, collagen, and espresso (if using) and blend on high for 2 min until frothy.
- Put into your favourite mug and top with lavender flowers.